Madagascar has its own definition of democracy with regards to its leaders. This page summarises the political history of this remote country since its independence.
|Presidents of Madagascar|
- 1959 - 1972: Philibert Tsiranana is first President of Madagascar.
- 18 May 1972: Philibert Tsiranana gives full powers to General Ramanantsoa.
- 5 February 1975: General Gabriel Ramanantsoa gives full powers to Richard Ratsimandrava, who combines the functions of President of the Republic, Prime Minister, Minister of National Defense and Planning.
- Night of 11 to 12 February 1975: After the assassination of Ratsimandrava, an executive military led by General Gilles Andriamahazo took power.
- 15 June 1975: The Military Executive Board elects Didier Ratsiraka as head of the state.
- 31 October 1991: Ratsiraka loses most of its powers to the Prime Minister of transition, Guy Willy Razanamasy. A series of strikes and daily orderly demonstrations resulted in the National Guard firing upon crowds in which an estimated 100 dies. Ratsiraka agrees to a referendum 1992/93.
- 27 March 1993: Albert Zafy wins election but soon ran into trouble leading to his impeachment by the National Assembly.
- 9 February 1997: Didier Ratsiraka resumes power after returning from exile in France.
- 22 February 2002: Marc Ravalomanana is self-proclaimed President of the Republic following widely disputed election results and battle for control between Ratsiraka and Ravalomanana.
- 17 March 2009: Marc Ravalomanana gives full powers to an Executive Military.
- 17 March 2009: The Military Directory transfers the full powers to President Andry Rajoelina.
- 24 January 2014: Hery Rajaonarimampianina becomes the officially elected President.
List of candidates for the Presidential Election 2018 (7th November)
- ANDRIANOELISON José Michel
- ANDRIANTSEHENO Lalaoarisoa Marcellin
- BERIZIKY Jean Omer
- BEZAZA Marie Eliana Pascaline Manasy
- DAMA Mahaleo
- ERNAIVO Fanirisoa
- IMBEH Serge Jovial
- JULES ETIENNE Rolland
- MAHAFALY SOLONANDRASANA Olivier Jocelyn
- MAILHOL André Christian Dieu Donné
- NARISON Stephan
- RABARIHOELA Bruno
- RABARY Andrianiaina Paul
- RABEHARISOA SARAHA
- RADAVIDSON ANDRIAMPARANY Benjamin
- RADILOFE Mamy Richard
- RAFALIMANANA Ny Rado
- RAJAONARIMAMPIANINA Hery Martial
- RAJAONARY Erick Françis
- RAJOELINA Andry Nirina
- RAKOTOFIRINGA Richard Razafy
- RAKOTOMAMONJY Jean Max
- RAMAROSON Arlette
- RANDRIAMAMPIONONA Joseph Martin
- RANDRIAMORASATA Solo Norbert
- RASOLOFONJOA Haingo Andriakajamalala
- RASOLONJATOVO Falimampionona
- RASOLOVOAHANGY Roseline Emma
- RATSIETISON Jean-Jacques Jedidia
- RATSIRAKA Didier Ignace
- RATSIRAKA Iarovana Rolland
- RAVALOMANANA Marc
- RAVELONARIVO Jean
- ROBIMANANA Rivomanantsoa Orlando
- TABERA Randriamanantsoa
- ZAFIVAO Jean Louis