The Bazary Be (The Great Market Place) is located on Colbert Street in the city centre of Diego Suarez, a town in the north of Madagascar. Today Bazary Be does not function as a market place anylonger. The building is now used as an exhibition centre and houses a library.
A sign next to the building reads:
The Great Market Place which was built in 1892 replaced the small open market in downtown Diego Suarez. It was gradually abandoned, leaving room for development to the "Bazary Kely" (Small Market) and then to the "Marche Brousee" (Bush Market) or "Tsena" (Open Market) of Tanambao. The building was later recaptured and renovated by the French Alliance in 1989. Its metallic structure designed by Eiffel Workshop is replicated in some of the military buildings of the town.