Antananarivo, Tananarive or simply Tana is the capital of Madagascar. Most foreign visitors to the country will pass through the city as almost all international flights to the country connect with its nearby Ivato International Airport. This page includes information on various city attractions, hotels and restaurants etc.
If you are accessing this site within Madagascar, this page is open for editing. Feel free to add any local advise here.
Places to visit
- Ambohitsorohitra Palace - Presidential Palace
- Andafiavaratra Palace - Prime Minister's Palace
- Manjakamiadana Rova - Queens Palace
- Soarano Train Station
- Tsimbazaza - zoo and botanical garden
- Andafiavaratra Museum of Art and Archaeology
- Isoraka Museum of Art and Archaeology
- Lake Anosy
- Ambohijatovo Park
- Akany Avoko Faravohitra - home for girls and young Malagasy females
- Ambohimanga - a UNESCO World Heritage Site where the original kings and queens that once united Madagascar lived, about 24km northeast of the capital. A great view of Antananarivo on clear days.
- Green Club Vontovorona - one of three Green Club health spas in Madagascar which offers a quick getaway from the capital.
- Flower Market
- Analakely Market - fruits, vegetables, clothes and tools
- Mahamasina Market - typical Malagasy street market
- Andravoahangy Market - wood carfings, jewelry and raffia crafts.
- Digue Market- handcrafts market.
- Book Market - second hand books and magazines
- Soarano Market - sells everything...
Souvenirs and shopping
- Digue Market
- Lisy Art Gallery
- Happy Creations
- CENT pour CENT baskets and placemats en route Ivato (mainly wholesale)
- Malagasy tin souvenirs
- Mama Benz
- Chocolaterie Robert
- Gilbert Rakotomanana bespoke tailor.
- La City shopping mall with many boutiques and restaurants. Air Madagascar's office that is open on Sundays is located here.
- Mi-Haja fashion and accessories for men and women.
- CS Events outdoors equipment
- TED GPS equipment, computers and security cameras
- Supreme Center - a large shopping centre with computers and other technical equipment.
Eric RASOLOHERY is a taxi driver in Antananarivo sporting a vintage 1958 2CV in immaculate condition.
Taxi Driver Richard is a reliable and reasonably priced English speaking taxi driver in the capital.
Tina's Tana Taxi is one of only two or three female taxi drivers in Antananarivo who with a big smile and a good sense of humour will likely find you the quickest as well as the most entertaining route to your destination.
Madarail is the national intercity rail service which operate freight and passenger trains.
Mountain bike rental (part of La Ferme d'Ivato).
Madagasikara Airways - a domestic airline since 2015.
Private Charter Flights - various small private aircraft operators.
Tsaradia - a domestic airline launched in 2018.
Taxi-brousse stations in Antananarivo
- the eastern station in Ampasampito
- the northern station in Ambodivona
- the southern in Lalana Pastora Rahajason
- the western station a couple of hundred metres west of the southern station
32 rue de Russie, Isoraka
Tel: +261 (0)20 22 21063
Tsanga Tsanga Hotel
Crossing of Lalana Idira Gandhi and Lalana Reallon
Fara's Guest House
Tel: +261 (0)33 14 294 83
Hotel de France
34 Avenue de l'indépendance
Tel: +261 (0)20 22 213 04
Lot VE28 Bis Rue Razanakombana
Tel: +261 (0)34 9352065
Relais des Pistards
Tel: +261 (0)32 29 471 65 / +261 (0)32 29 471 65
Ambodihady Ambohimanarina (between Antananarivo and Ivato International Airport
BP 8271- 101 Antananarivo
Tel: +261 (0)20 23 584 94 / +261 (0)20 26 328 47 / +261 (0)20 23 252 49
Hotel Secret de Tana
Tel: +261 (0)33 1117453
Hotel Maison des Cotonniers
Tel: +261 (0)20 2220954
- Vary Gasy - 100% Malagasy
- Fish and Chips Restaurant - located between Ivato International Airport and Antananarivo
- Le Pony - en route Ambohimanga
- Chez Vanina - Malagasy-Chinese
Malagasy / Chinese
- Au Bon Accueil - simple Malagasy-Chinese restaurant with a great panoramic view over Tana
- Chantaco - Malagasy with a Chinese influence
- Little India - traditional north and south Indian cuisine (reopened with new management and a genuine Indian menu and kitchen in 2015)
- Shalimar - Indian/Pakistani cuisine
- Terrace Exotic - authentic Indian restaurant
- Le Phare - Bretange-style crêperie
- Fée Maison - Bretange-style crêperie
- Pourquoi Pas ! - French/Europan/Malagasy popular with the expats community
- Le Rossini - a world-class restaurant serving French cuisine prepared with fresh Malagasy ingredients
- La Varangue - very upscale restaurant close to the Presidential Palace
Health & Spa
Jewellers and gemstones
There are three major phone operators in Madagascar offering prepaid cards, all of which have have good connections in cities but with varying quality throughout the countryside:
- Dot.mg domain registration and hosting services
- HFF is a travel agency, tour operator and flight booking service at The Carlton
- Events in Antananarivo (on allevents.in)
- Paositra Malagasy - postal offices
- Tana Water Front
- FTM - Foiben-Taosarintanin'i Madagasikara (Geographical and Hydrographic Institute of Madagascar)
- US Embassy
- Tourist visa on arrival
- Air France head office location in Antananarivo.
- Pack Yellow
- Malagasy government ministries on africanbib.biz
- lily.mg online marketplace.
- Ivato Conference Center
- Ady Gasy
- Tana Baobab
- 18-Jan-2019 12:23
- 08-Jan-2019 08:00
- 20-Dec-2018 08:00
- 02-Jan-2019 08:00
- 27-Dec-2018 08:00
- 05-Jan-2019 08:00
- 27-Dec-2018 08:00
- 17-Jan-2019 18:36
- 18-Jan-2019 16:04
- 09-Jan-2019 08:00
- 21-Dec-2018 19:58
- 18-Jan-2019 02:58
- 29-Dec-2018 08:00
- 24-Dec-2018 08:00
- 25-Sep-2018 07:00
- 27-Dec-2018 08:00
- 22-Dec-2018 08:00
- 18-Jan-2019 07:40
- 09-Sep-2018 07:00
- 19-Dec-2018 08:00
- 28-Sep-2018 07:00
- 18-Jan-2019 21:58
- 09-Nov-2018 04:34
- 07-Nov-2018 08:00
- 20-Dec-2018 08:00
- 18-Jan-2019 14:01
- 18-Dec-2018 08:00
- 18-Jan-2019 03:03
- 11-Oct-2017 07:00
- 22-Apr-2018 07:00
- 07-Jan-2019 08:00
- 03-Dec-2018 08:00