no edit summary
Ambatondrazaka is a small, delightful town situated over several hills at the southern end of [[Lac Alaotra]] in Madagascar. The town is surrounded by large rice fields and the region is commonly known as the rice granary of Madagascar. Due to lack of water the most southern part of lake Alaotra is overgrown and cannot be seen from the city anymore. In 2004 the town's population was estimated at 75,675. The town has several churches, a stadium, an old train station and a market offering fresh products from the region.
By car Ambatondrazaka can be reached from Tana via the RN2 direction [[Moramanga]] and from there via RN44 directly to Ambatondrazaka. A railroad once connected the city with the capital but is no longer in use. <!-- airport code WAM -->
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="-17.819852" lon="48.418894" zoom="15" controls="large">
'''Excursions around Ambatondrazaka'''
* Chrome mines 80km west from Ambatondrazaka.
* Agricultural institute "Station Agricole CALA" located about 18km north on a peninsula.
* Trip around the lake (approximately 1 day by car).
* Trekking in the rainforest of Didy, about 60km from Ambatondrazaka.
* Zahamena National Park, north-east of the town of Ambatondrazaka (half day by car).